THE SWEET, TANGY FLAVOR of mangos makes an even more exciting foil for the rich, buttery caramel and pastry of tarte Tatin than the traditional apples. Dinner party note: You can keep your raw tart up to 4 hours in the refrigerator before baking. An hour and 10 minutes before dessert time place your chilled tart directly into a pre-heated oven, and add 10 minutes baking time.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 ripe mangos
- 1 sheet pre-rolled puff pastry (about 8 ounces)
1. Combine sugar, water, and corn syrup in the bottom of a 10-inch heavy-bottomed, oven-proof skillet (a cast iron pan works well). Place over medium-high heat and cook until the sugar around the edges of the pan begins to melt and turn golden. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until all sugar is melted and golden amber, 3-7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Use a paring knife to scrape vanilla seeds from split pod; stir seeds into caramel. Discard empty pod or place in a jar of granulated sugar to make vanilla-sugar. Set skillet aside to cool slightly while you prepare mangos and pastry.
2. Heat oven to 400°F. Cut a small piece off the tops and bottoms of the mangos so they are able to balance on their flattened ends. Using a sharp knife or peeler, remove skins. Stand the first mango on one of its flattened ends. Viewed from above, the mango will look like an oval. Position your knife slightly to the right of center, and slice down one of the broad sides of the oval, as close to the pit as possible. Repeat on the other side, leaving a slab of mango with the pit inside. Cut around the pit to remove the remaining flesh. Repeat process with second mango. Cut the flesh of both mangos into 1/3-inch-thick slices. (Go here for a good video of the process.) Roll and cut puff pastry to an 11-inch circle.
3. Evenly spread mango slices over caramel in bottom of pan. Cover mangos with puff pastry. Place pan in oven and bake until pastry is puffed and a deep golden brown, 35-45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 10-15 minutes. Using hot pads, place a rimmed serving platter over skillet; quickly and carefully invert. Serve immediately.
Subscribe to receive notifications of new stories, recipes, special offers, and travel tips
Buy the book on Amazon
Follow us at twitter.com/beginningfrench
Email us at email@example.com